Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Handling temporary Creative Block...

After a very long time I underwent a bad creative block last week (must be years since I had the last one)... I had to design a print collateral for our SaaS product. After getting the content and understanding the target audience for it, I started to design some layout and I realized all the options I tried working on projected some primitive design skills I had. I was left totally blank was not sure if it was a temp thing or I lost my creative abilities. It just went on for 2 days, I would keep staring at the monitor, try working on some layouts and end up doing options that reminded me of some design which I did years back.

I told to myself print is not your strength anymore... c'mon give up, face it.

I also noticed that not much of reference for print related work is available over the web (some tips were available but not that good to overcome a creative block). Then I took a break and moved on to chat up with a colleague, and was talking about this weird block I was having and then he suggested that probably a trip to a creative bookstore might help. That sounded interesting and I was in no frame of mind to think of anyother way too. The block already gave me a sleepless night.

And Voila! it did help. I found this awesome book "What is Typography?" by David Jury. From the name I assumed it should be a book about the basics of typography, font usage etc. Of course it was related to that but from a broader perspective I realized that getting back to basics after a long time opens new doors of creativity and better understanding of things.

Back at work it really helped me get over the block I was undergoing. I was able to churn out some good design options. To substantiate my feeling, here's what my boss said"Looks interesting."

I think the best part of these kind of blocks are, they are hurdles that inspire us to jump higher. Suddenly I feel like working on more print collaterals.

This book is a must read I strongly recomend it. Will post a soft copy of the design once they are sent for print.

cheers

1 comment:

Sagar said...

Hey I am sagar from poona, having 4yrs. experience in designing and would like to learn and expertise in Usabilty engineering soon. Can you guide me to make this happen? My email id is ...sagsilver@rediffmail.com/ surysagar@gmail.com(orkut,googletalk)